Friday 6 July 2012


Elfera Achin
TESL (R1)
Research in library
 4 July 2012

-     " I won't be able to make it for class. Inform the rest to do the following during the 2 hours: find gothic elements in the novel; find instances of irony in the novel; literary elements used and their impact on the novel. From Mr. Camillus Ong "

1. A gothic element is defined as the gloom and mystery and the grotesque in a story from my own understanding. From my reading, I found out that gothic element was shown in the novel “Things Fall Apart” by the Igbo beliefs. They believe in sacrificial of human. They believe this action will give them good fortune. In addition, the Igbo believes that the wooden statuary is an active representation of spirits, and are used as a medium of communication with the spirit world. They also worship Ikenga figures. It is kept in personal shrine by successful men and women. The word shrine was stated in the novel. The other ritual was also mentioned in the novel.

2.   Literary devices in Things Fall Apart :
Symbolism – The kola nut represents the unity of Umofia people.
Contrast – Unoka and his son, Okwonko are very different in personalities.


3.  After I read the novel Things Fall Apart, I found out that the story is very ironic in terms of its main character’s life. At the beginning of the novel, he was seen as a very strong man, hardworking and brave but at the end of the story, he hung himself to death. I do not know that this is going to happen at last, that is why I see it as very ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment