Thursday 13 October 2011

A point of view

The first semester is going to end soon. English studies is one of the subject that I enjoyed studying during this semester. This subject is special in its own way. With Mr. Camillus Ong, my lecturer who is unpredictable and knowledgeable who made the lectures very interesting.

During lectures we were supposed to analyse short stories. Almost all of the short stories has either a sad or a tragic ending. Death, sorrow and gloomy. A part of them, my knowledge of literature expanded. From my secondary school, I have learned a few literary devices. But this class opened my eyes. I thought I've learned everything back then but actually there are more than 20 literary devices. I am glad that I entered this class. The short story I like the most is "Lamb To The Slaughter". I love the way how the story line goes. It is very smooth and made me feel interested to finish the story. It is a very interesting story indeed.

Besides short stories, me and my course mates analysed poems too. But it is very sad for me because i could not join the class.

In a nut shell, English Studies is a subject for English lovers like me. I hope for the next semester i will learn this subject again with the same lecturer.

                                                                                                                                           -falakh zafrieyl-








                                                           What do you say, sir???


                After analysis 10 short story and 12 poems, I do find that a lot of literature input. From the story of an hour to the extra reading short story, the chrysanthemums. A lot of style and themes had been present by the author. A lot of hidden message had been inserted in the short story. Some of the writing is influence by the West and East culture.  To understand the writing, I had realised that a little knowledge on the background of the author and the time and situation during the writing is needed in order to understand the writing and the issue being press in it. My favourite short story is “ The Jade Bracelet” by Mary Frances Chong. Mary is an Malaysian writer. She project the culture of Chinese and the suffering of a typical Chinese women in her writing. As we proceed into the poems, we analysis 12 poems, I realised that there are only two main themes in it, love and death. I do find the joy in analysis all the poems as for me, it required me to do a lot of research on the poems, from background of the poem and purpose of writing. Most of the poems are difficult to understand but a lot of research will help in understanding the poems. Overall, this course had open my view on the field of English. Now I realised that literature is fun. We can express our self freely. Do enjoy literature.!! J  

                                                                                                                                        -Albinus Arbut- 

No comments:

Post a Comment